Adobe just produced Tour De Flex an AIR app that allows you to tour all of Flex’s features. Great for those who are curious about what flex can do. For developers, this tool is great because it allows you to actually see the code to produce the feature that is shown.
Adobe states that Tour De Flex has three primary features:
- Provide non-Flex developers with a good overview of what is possible in Flex in a “look and see” environment
- Provide Flex developers with an illustrated reference tool
- Provide commercial and non-commercial Flex developers a place to showcase their work
Check out the Tour De Flex Web Site
Adobe Student Rep for RIA
Yesterday I was welcomed as an Adobe Student Rep for Rich Internet Applications. I am excited to get the Flex community going at BYU and educating other students about what Adobe Flex is and what an RIA is. Since I do this for work, I find it is easy to share my passion and my love for it with others.
I created a user group for BYU students. If you are a BYU student, join the group and enjoy the perks of being a member. You do not need to be an active Flex developer to join, you just need to be interested in what Flex is. I will be hosting an event this semester to get things kicked off.
Today I paid the $150 and took the Flex 2 certification test. I passed and am now an ACP – Adobe Certified Professional (add that to my Flash MX 2004 Certified Developer, MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) and MOUS (Microsoft Office User Specialist) certifications).
Overall I found the test to be challenging. I wouldn’t take it without sufficient preparation. Here are my Flex 2 study preparation tips:
- Attest – provides practice tests and quizzes. Some questions on the official test came from the questions found on these practice tests.
- Lynda Free 7 Day Trial
- Flex 2 Advanced: Using Data Services – a must because the average flex developer hasn’t used RemoteObjects or WebServices very much and the test is roughly 30% on these topics.
- Flex 2 Beyond the Basics – great review of advanced flex topics.
- Flex 2 Essential Training – great review of basic flex topics.
Obviously use the flex documentation as a reference over concepts that you are unfamiliar with.
Topics founds on the test that I rarely used include: IViewCursor, Flex Data Services.